Nick specialises in acting for financial institutions in a wide variety of banking litigation matters including high value recovery actions and in defending claims brought by customers and third parties.
He has particular experience in acting for international banks in cross-border enforcement work and in disputes involving syndicated loans and trade finance instruments.
He also has over 15 years’ experience in acting for lenders in professional negligence claims against property valuers, solicitors, project monitoring surveyors, accountants and auditors. He regularly provides training to clients on how to spot and then manage professional negligence claims.
Nick spent 18 months on secondment within the restructuring and recoveries division of a major UK bank gaining an invaluable insight into the commercial and regulatory pressures faced on a daily basis.
Jurisdiction: England & Wales
- Acting for a consortium of 13 Indian banks (led by State Bank of India) against high profile businessman Vijay Mallya in relation to the registration in England of an Indian judgment for £1Bn and its subsequent enforcement via bankruptcy proceedings.
- Advising a UK clearing bank in relation to a potential £10M claim against a property valuer in respect of lending on a new hotel.
- Obtaining judgment for US$240M for IDBI Bank against a Cypriot corporate guarantor in relation to lending to construct two off-shore oil rigs.
- Acting for a syndicate of 4 banks against a borrower, corporate guarantor and personal guarantor in a US$45M recovery action in relation to lending on an energy project in Nigeria
- Investigating a potential £1M professional negligence claim for an asset-based lender in respect of a classic sports car