Paul is a partner in the Banking & Financial Services Litigation team in our London office and co-Head of TLT's India Group.
He has particular experience of disputes involving a range of complex financial products, trade finance issues, fraud and insolvency, often involving multiple jurisdictions, as well as contentious regulatory matters.
He acts for a range of UK and International banks with particularly strong relationships with the Indian banking community. Paul’s work has previously been recognised at the British Legal Awards where his team was highly commended in the “Litigation and Disputes Team of the Year” award. Paul has also completed two secondments with a major UK clearing bank.
Jurisdiction: England & Wales
- Acting for a consortium of 13 banks led by State Bank of India in successfully defeating a challenge brought by high-profile Indian businessman Dr Vijay Mallya against an order registering an Indian judgment (£1.145bn) with the English High Court and a supporting freezing injunction. Continuing to act in relation to bankruptcy proceedings against him.
- Acting for an Indian bank to enforce a US$90m facility with judgment secured against the borrower leading to enforcement action in multiple jurisdictions. The corporate guarantor challenged the enforceability of its obligations on a number of grounds including jurisdiction.
- Acting for a UK clearing bank defending high profile claims brought by various individuals as part of complex multi-party litigation in connection with advice and lending provided in respect of investment schemes.
- Advising a number of banks on the conduct risk issues arising out of the transition away from LIBOR.
- Advising an international bank in relation to a CEO imposter fraud including securing freezing orders in Hong Kong enabling the recovery of significant funds.