Nicola is a litigator and public law and judicial review specialist.
She spent the formative decade of her career at Baker McKenzie (London and Melbourne, Australia) where she undertook public law, media and regulatory matters for the likes of the BBC Trust, VicForests and Professional Standards Authority for Health & Social Care, as well as contractual/ tortious disputes, fraud, pensions litigation and LCIA/ICC arbitration.
Nicola moved on to Cardiff HQ’d firm Capital Law where she was a Partner and Head of the Public Law Regulatory team. Here, she represented the British Medical Association in various judicial reviews and became a trusted adviser to own regulator, the Solicitors Regulation Authority, as well as Welsh Government, the Gambling Commission and UK Anti-doping.
Nicola is a Board Member of Sport Wales.
Nicola joined TLT as a Partner in their Commercial Regulatory team in December 2022.
Jurisdiction: England and Wales
- Seconded to the Gambling Commission to support its in-house function in connection with a procurement challenge brought by the incumbent licensee of the National Lottery regarding the decision to award the next licence to a new operator.
- Representing one of the UK’s largest trade unions, the British Medical Association, in its successful judicial review against a decision to amend pensions regulations with the effect that its members would have pension benefits suspended on charge for a criminal offence.
- Representing a medical defence indemnity company as an interested party in a judicial review brought by one of its competitors regarding a decision to create a state-backed indemnity scheme for the profession.
- Advising government officials in connection with threatened judicial review proceedings brought regarding the speed and content of policy in the field of health and safety and construction.
- Acting for a Silicon Valley company in its defence of a contributory action against it by a global event ticket seller following a class action connected to a significant data breach.