Richard is a senior associate specialising in consumer and competition law.
He has particular specialism supporting clients during complex investigations brought by the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) and other sector regulators such as Ofgem. More generally he advises on a wide range of dealings with government and regulators, including responding to consultations and requests for information (RFIs) during CMA Market Studies.
Richard also provides compliance and general behavioural advice, focusing mainly on the following areas:
All aspects of UK and EU competition compliance, including abuse of dominance, vertical agreements and horizontal co-operation agreements.
Compliance with the Consumer Rights Act, Consumer Contracts Regulations and Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations.
Advertising law, including comparative advertising disputes, compliance with the CAP Code and supporting clients during investigations by the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA).
Jurisdiction: England & Wales
- Advised comparethemarket.com on its appeal of the CMA’s infringement decision in relation to alleged anti-competitive use of most favoured nation clauses in the Competitions Appeal Tribunal. Richard also advised comparethemarket throughout the CMA investigation spanning several years.
- Advised a leading travel company during an investigation brought by the CMA’s COVID-19 Taskforce in relation to alleged consumer law and Package Travel Regulation breaches during the Pandemic.
- Advised a leading energy company in connection with the CMA’s investigation into alleged anti-competitive conduct in the electric vehicle charging sectors.
- Advised a large consumer brand on its submissions to the CMA’s Digital Advertising Market Study.
- Advised a clean energy company during an investigation brought by Ofgem under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations.
- Acted for various individual directors of corporates facing Director Disqualification proceedings following CMA infringement decisions.
- Provided consumer law compliance advice (including drafting consumer-facing terms and policies) for various national retail clients.
- Currently advising a FTSE 100 global consumer goods manufacturer on revising its Dawn Raid policy to reflect new ways of working post-Pandemic.