Hydropower plays a significant role in UK clean energy, generating over 5,000 GWh/year. We are one of a small number of UK law firms with specific expertise in hydropower schemes.
Our team of specialists works with developers and funders to enable the development and operation of hydropower projects throughout the UK.
Bringing together legal experts from a broad range of disciplines, the team delivers experience-based advice throughout the lifecycle of hydropower projects. This includes everything from site acquisition and financing to the negotiation of balance of plant and power purchase agreements.
We regularly advise on:
- land assembly issues
- title and property due diligence
- options, leases, and land acquisition
- access agreements
- infrastructure agreements
- project acquisitions
- project disposals
- Fund manager in relation to two hydroelectric projects that were being refinanced with a major European bank. The projects were being put into long-term debt structures as part of a wider investment strategy.
- Ethical bank on the provision of non-recourse loan facilities to a community group 500kw scheme. One of the largest community hydro projects in Scotland, this was the first facility developed and owned by a community on Forestry Commission land.
- Clean energy developer in relation to the development of a hydro project in Scotland with complicated real estate aspects and a private grid connection, and the acquisition of a site for a hydro power developments with complex planning and property rights issues.